The Law Faculty of Charles University was formed in 1348 as one of four faculties of the newly established Charles University.
Presently, with more than 4500 students, the Faculty of Law is the largest accredited law faculty in the Czech Republic. It has a fully accredited Master´s Programme taught in Czech; a Doctoral Programme can be taken either in the Czech or English languages. The Faculty also provides LLM courses taught in English.
Many Law Faculty alumni hold prominent positions within the justice system, in central and local administration, within the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in public service and also in private legal practice and private businesses.
The Law Faculty building is a monument of modern architecture. It was built by Czech architect Ladislav Machon (1888 – 1973), a representative of modern classicism and functionalism. The construction was carried our between 1926 and 1929 in accordance with the development design from 1914 made by Jan Kotera (1871 – 1923), an architect of international significance, who was a leading figure of Czech modern architecture. The interior of the building is Machon’s own work.